Monday, January 12, 2009

Welcome Back


We'll, I'm back in Buenos Aires (BsAs), Argentina for a second stint.  The start has been a little rocky.  It's day four, my luggage is still in Atlanta and I'm coming off a bit of a cold (I think the dramatic change in weather shocked my system quite nicely).  Besides a couple hiccups, life has been more than excellent.  The weather is a dream and dollar is strong.  It's been sunny with high 80s during the day and cooling off a bit at night, usually with a moderate breeze. 

 I moved back into my old place at 4071 Lezica.  There have been a few additions to the place, but for the most part it's the same.   The most popular addition is the  5' x 8' pool on the rooftop terrace.  During the weekend all my roommates rocked swim trunks.  There are also two new roommates; Adam from Queens and Connor from somewhere in Wyoming. 

Since I've been back I've hit all my favorite spots... The fresh pasta shop, the vegi stand in the Chinese market, the bakery (which i'll argue is the best in the city), the dry cleaners and of course the sandwich man.  The sandwich man makes the best 3 dollar sandwich i've ever eaten.  I frequent that place like nobody's business and Charles already has a running tab for me.  Everyone remembers me with there smiles and kind words and I feel at home coming back to this neighborhood.  

Que Lindo?


And there's a new kitten that goes by Kung Fu.  I'm not the biggest fan of cats being mildly allergic but this kitten is hilarious.  Kung Fu is always messing with Hernan (this one year old cat that is absolutely huge compared to Kung Fu).  It's funny to watch them. 

So with it being my arrival/the weekend/the summer, an outdoor asado (bbq) fiesta was crucial on Saturday night.  I went with Adam and Connor to the grocery store to pick up some carne.  Of course we opted for the beef tenderloin.  We ended up getting the whole 4 pound tenderloin for about ten bucks and I stuffed it with sautéed mushrooms, onions, garlic and prosciutto before putting it on the parilla (grill).  We also had a salad.  The whole dinner was amazing and eating a good meal paired with  fernet and cola seemed to help my cold.  


On Sunday I realized my bags probably weren't going to come for a few more days, so I made a judgement call.  I decided to pick up a pair of trunks and flip flops to get me through the next few days.  I admit there may have been more logical alternatives, but whatever.  

So like I said, life is good.  I'm feeling really optimistic about this second stint even with the slight complications at the start.  I'm looking forward to meeting up with my good friends Lorena and Matias on Wednesday for dinner.   I'm also looking forward to traveling with my cousin Joe for three weeks in Feb/Mar, my parents and aunt coming to visit and enjoying myself with every opportunity and adventure that comes my way.

I hope you all enjoy the blog.




5 comments:

  1. i know youre checkin for comments, so let me be the first to say something... welcome back indeed. enjoy yourself. be safe and healthy. -chels

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your bags haven't made it yet! But you're used to wearing the same clothes every day so, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.

    Enjoyed another Spotted Cow last night kept frosty in a UW bottle koozy and thought of you.

    Hugs and Pounds! -A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Patrick,
    wow...hope you get your luggage soon, but I am diggin the trunks and flips youre sporting. How is your spanish coming? Warm weather sounds good right about now...wisconsin is frozen solid. p.s. can you fedex me one of those famous sandwiches??? Sounds good...enjoy!!!!!
    -jordan w

    ReplyDelete
  4. que bueno! Permita que las aventuras empezar!

    ReplyDelete