Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Semester 2 of 6


My month long break has come to an end as of 8am this morning. Although it was refreshing to have a few weeks to regroup I found myself overly giddy at the thought of the second semester getting underway. And for good reasons; with opportunities to work with faculty members and students that I revere and to be a part of a creative environment that is both incredibly fascinating and uncomfortably challenging. Also, I can't fail to mention another semester working with Tandem Press (a collaborative fine art print studio that works with some of the world's most important contemporary artists). I'll write an entry in the future about my experiences at Tandem and keep this entry pertainting to the fresh semester.
For the spring I'm enrolled in 3 classes that include: Advanced Drawing (w/ Fred Stonehouse), Advanced Lithography (w/ Jack Damer) and Graduate Etching II (w/ Frances Myers). I also have an independent study with Derrick Buisch. I chose to work with these professors not only for their wealth of knowledge but also for common threads that I feel exists between their work and mine.
I filled my schedule with the maximum number of credits all of which are studio courses. In theory I should be able to crank out glorious amounts of work (hopefully some of it will rock).
With my back to school excitement I stayed up later than usual drawing and working out ideas for some new projects. Recently I've been playing with the idea of creating a series of narrative prints that will ultimately exist in the form of a hand made artist book. I will keep my details of this project vague at this point as it's in the earliest of stages. I'm currently working on a costume for the protagonist of the story that will be played by me. I took some pics last night and drew the image below. This is a preliminary sketch as no elements of my appearance are for certain. I feel like I have a decent amount of silliness and sadness going on. I think that juxtaposition with work well in the story. Thats all for now, I'll keep you posted.

1 comment: